Saturday, November 25, 2023

Maybe I'll hum an old tune

THE SCARS OF POETRY

Empty shot glass left on the bar

whiskey gone

and now for the silence

that will walk me home,


maybe I’ll hum some old tune

or quote some poems,

perhaps it will be Edward Thomas

meeting his destiny at the “borders of sleep,”

or Stephen Spender will chat with me 

about "The very great,”

I’m sure I’ll pause to ask the night questions

about the clouds above me, or memories of Frank O’Hara

may come as well, his parties and a New York City poetry long asleep,


maybe I’ll hear the sound of a pretty voice

coming down from an apartment high above,

filled with the cadence of love and beginnings,


or maybe an old line I’d forgotten

might remind me to collect my yesterdays,

regardless of all that I’ll have company

but not the kind that leaves lipstick on my cheek

and shirt but just scars across the heart.



1 comment: